Overnight Hike from Perth Hill Discovery Centre to Helena Campsite and return (Members only). Saturday Morning to Sunday Afternoon.
- Approximately 24km total over 2 days.
- Amazing vista from the Helena Shelter and Amazing Sunrise.
- Real hiking experience. Drop toilet.
- Water available at camp - Water needs to be either filtered or treated with chemical/by boiling to be safe for drinking.
- Parents are responsible for their children at all times.
- Walk is graded as 'Difficult' due to uneven ground and steep sections.
- Helena Campsite is 'new' and very comfortable.
- Appropriate gear is required for this walk. Please refer Members' Only resource page of the web site for more guidance.
- The nighttime temperature may be low.
- Members may be refused participation if the safety of the group or the participant is compromised by inappropriate equipment.
- I have a PLB for emergency use, for the safety of the group.
- Interested members should familiarise themselves with The Risk Management Policy published on the WAFBC website and ensure the safety of your family at all times. We are going into remote environemnt and medical evacuation is usually hours away. Potential risks (which may lead to life-threatening event) on this walk for adults and children are, (1) Snake bite, (2) Thermal burns at fire-pit, (3) Gasto-Intestinal upset from oro-feacal contamination, (4) Musculo-skeletal injuries, (5) Dehydration, (6) Falls, (7) Insect bites, (8) Eye injuries from sticks or plants, and (9) Getting lost in the wilderness.
Assemble Point: Perth Hill Discovery Centre Carpark 15mins before departure time.
- Mobile coverage is unreliable for much of the Bibbulmum Track, so we will not be waiting long if you are late to the assembly point as there is no way of determining if you are coming or not.
- There is no Mobile service at Helena campsite for Optus/Vodafone, weak for Telstra (Unsure about Telstra). PHDC should be a reasonable safe to park your car overnight.
- Registration is necessary, this event may be cancelled if there is no registered participants.
Hiking equipment must include these:
- Suitable attire, sturdy shoes and other personal protection equipment.
- Water (Minimum 2L per person at departure).
- Food (Lunch, Dinner, breakfast and snacks)
- Hiking backpack.
- Warm sleeping gear - Sleeping bag and mattress.
- Tent (The shelter may be busy and space may not be available).
- Personal Hygiene and toilet paper.
- Basic First Aid kit.
- Please keep total pack weight below 10-12kg, including water. Children should not carry more than 10% of their body weight.
There may be option for a day walk, or short overnight walk (eg PHDC to Ball Creek, or PHDC to Mundaring Weir etc) if another family is willing to lead.
Please contact Michael Lee for further information. Beginners are welcome and email me if you have any question about gear selection.
M: 0421 783 083